In 1958 the first St Andrews Beach sub-division was created “Capri Beach” with plans for a motel, surf club and modern shops. The first release advertised on Dec 7 1959 offered waterfront sites from £295 with £40 deposit. Capri Beach offered surf and silver beaches on your doorstep. It promoted a Surf Carnival planned one week later on Dec 13.
The Surf Carnival made the front page of the Age the next day when a crowd of 5000 saw a surf lifesaver rescued when his boat capsized in rough seas. The treacherous surf caused the cancellation of the main events. The event was organised by the Capri Beach land developer Nichols and Borrow who donated the new life boat.
The “second release” claimed 90 blocks had already been sold. The land price dropped to £195 and the deposit to £25 in this Jan 15 1960 advertisement from The Age.
This advertisement appeared in The Age Oct 7 1960.
A refreshed campaign appeared in The Age on Nov 2 1960.
A few years later the Capri Beach was was changed to St Andrews By The Sea .